Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Travel log - February 28


> I'd like to leave my name out, but let me know how that sounds.

ok dude, just transferred the below text to the new website, except I included the two other languages Monster sent me, Russian and Mexican. I'll get your final confirm before I go live, and still wanna ask some questions maybe, to make sure everything square. Drove to Lanarca yesterday to negotiate a hospital operation and drove by the airport, so l'm looking forward to when you come. By long weekend I guess you're looking at 4 or 5 days? Wanna slowly talk about it, plan, give me time to research, and work out a possible itinerary guideline, or just come and whing it? I can pick up a south cyprus sim card anytime, so we can cruise around the island anywhere. Cost me roughly a quarter tank to get there and back, so I'm guess around a full tank to drive around the perimeter while dotting inland occasionally to check out special sites. So that would be about 2,000 Kc to do the entire island. In the centre of the south there's supposed to be a major mountainous area with skiing all year round, I think. Another option is to make a b-ish line straight to the best beachy area and just hang and relax, or go out of the way a bit and check some sites. Or just plain 'ol whing it. Leave it up to you, navigator!

Kenax served my company well as part of a website expansion initiative into three countries of Eastern Europe. While the project sounded straightforward enough, it was no easy task given the complexity of our technical integration points and this being our first time having organized a relationship with an outside vendor in the Prague office on such a large scale effort. We chose Kenax as a personal reference and as a solid candidate for cost-effective non-legal translations. While our project was not easy, the company proved flexible enough to work in the non-traditional environment we presented them and developed custom tools to improve the process as we went through several iterations. For this reason we chose them and they performed well for the projects we presented them in 2006. Project Director, Monster.com

Sure, I can do that, though you may want to ask Adam for more credibility if you include name so its not obvious your brother is recommending. Let me know and will do it soon. Adam already said he'd write something up and send me a proposal. Maybe you could add your name to it, and some little comments or something, as your position seems juicy sounding now. I don't advertise my name on my website, but I guess it will be obvious once people start emailing with me. But the testimonial is there for the first bait, after which I think they'll either forget, or it shouldn't really matter. Would be cool if we could hook up on this island. Think you'd like it. Can take you to the Greek side and introduce you to my Slovakian chick friend in the bar of hot dancing Balkan girls. laterman


My advice to you is not to spend more than 6 months in the same country... things start getting serious then and once they start checking on you could go rapidly downhill!

Thanks for tips dude. Seems I may be stuck here a while, and hope I can handle the heat in the summer. Perhaps the police wont mind so much if I convince them I have a job from abroad and am only pumping money into their local economy. Although that can be pretty scanty when my income is low. Even managed to find free internet here. Chicks aint hot here either. Maybe its the cold up north that makes 'em hot. Have a good one in Bulg and happy house workin. I've been working a bit on the truck, but these are puney projects compared to yours. latero

No trouble getting your emails now - both boxes identical so guess prob was not with Hotmail... whatever it was, glad you solved it! AM in southern Portugal now, fixin up piece of land I told you about - brilliant weather, food, wine but not women! time to move on back to Bulgaria, I think, but have been holding off because the weather in central Europe has been foul the last week or so. Guess I won't see you there after all.


Sorry for that inconvenience, I was out of Prague for awhile. On the border they never checked that my emissions are updated. They should be nice to you if you explain that you were out of country for long term. In the worst case they might give you notice and will have to come back when you get new emission tests to show them new stamps on your plate. I don't see a big deal with that. Just make sure you have all valid highway stamps in all countries you connected with motorway. Slovakia, CZ for sure.

Thanks for the response bud. Occurred to me that perhaps they don't even do emissions test here, at least in the Turkish northern half, considering the amount of black or grey smoke coming out of a lot of these cars. I guess it being an island, the wind just blows it elsewhere and they aint stressed about it. It's comforting indeed to feel I can just drive around without being stressed about having to come back to CZ every year. Would prefer to just cut the umbilical chord and just float around where I want. But governments can be assholes, things can be dangerous, and the bureaucratic monsters make everyone's dreams harder. But this island is a pretty good place to be stuck. Too bad my income has been so low so long, otherwise I'd like to just drive around and discover this great earth. So don't think I'll be able to visit CZ in the summer, as I hoped. If you ever have yearnings for some beach action, maybe a plane fare won't cost so much and I'll drive ya around. Say hi to all da folks. Have a good one bud.

That is a big deal at the moment. I hope you well you gentleman of fortune. You must be full of stories, looking forward to see you buddy. Drop me a few lines if you need some more questions. Take it easy dude


cau dude, no stress, but if you ever send the CD, let me know when so that I check the post office. Otherwise I generally don't, even though I'm in town every day. Think I might stay on this island a year, since I found free internet, have greatly reduced my costs, and need to pay a lot of debts. Hopefully I can survive the hot summer, but at night it's supposed to stay cool, which is more important. To get to Czech Republic and back would cost me about 50k, since I should also replace the back four tires. And if I did drive up to Czech Republic for the summer, I'd want to make it to Poland too, to avoid the heat, so it doesn't make so much sense to go up there unless I have enough funds to make the trip proper. My two major concerns for making it back was to extend travel insurance, and for smog tests etc. But no one seems to concern themselves with those little bitty stickers on the licence plates, and it may even be okay here. I'd love it if I could just cut the embilical cord and float around the planet where I please. Maybe in five years when the east gets its shit together, internet is more spread, and they're not so anal at the borders. Anyway, Cyprus is a pretty cool island, and its almost as cheap in the northern half as in Czech Republic, so if anyone ever wants to fly down here, I'll show them the island. I can drive to the Greek half any time I want to extend my stay here, so it's pretty choice here, and I'm parked right on the beach. The island has a rich history and tons of ruins, and quite nice nature. Say hi to all the folks!


don't wanna let you down, but then again, I'll let you know the situation now, in case you wanna visit, so that you have time to save up for a plane fair. Not sure if I'll be able to make it to Cz in the summer, like I hoped. My big push to go back was 1) to renew another year of travel insurance, and 2) for smog etc. test, which needs to be performed once a year on a hog like mine over 3.5 tonnes. But I found I can get insurance in other ways, a fudge the situation as I usually do, and what concerns those little bitty stickers on my licence plate... Well, no one ever looks down there, and it's apparently not such a big deal as I thought. The smog tests seem more a European thing, and when I do get back to Czech Republic, I can apparently just tell them I was travelling abroad for a long time, show them my passport as proof, and get it done there through my usual fudge pudge sources. I intend to avoid Europe anyway, as it is more expensive, and they can take my vehicle away on various technicalities. So I'd rather enjoy it before I take that risk, and stay out here in the cheaper east, where people are more relaxed, not so much the sophisticated snobs, and things are cheaper. Here on Cyprus it seems perfect. Not only have I found free internet and drove my costs down quite a bit, and I'm parked right on a beach, but I can drive over to the Greek side to stamp my passport, stay here longer, or if I need to get to "Europe" to buy anything fancy. Or get an operation at the hospital on my Cz/EU health insurance, for example. Only a quarter tank away. So quite ideal actually. The island is rich in history, has tons of ruins, beautiful nature, apparently a mountain in the south which has snow/skiing all year round, and beaches everywhere. I just hope I can handle the 44C heat in the summer, but apparently it remains cool at night, which is more important. I just need to hang low for a while to pay back all my debts. My back tires are getting thin, so they would need replacing, bringing up the total tab, including gas, ferry, and the trip back, to around 50k to get to Cz and back. But while up there I wanted to check out Poland and the cooler summer ocean there, so that would make it more expensive. Hence a major project and can't see things turning around for me any time soon. I'd rather stay low and pay these debts first. But I'm glad I've cut the umbilical cord and don't have to come back to Czech Republic every year, but be able to float around where I want. If the world wasn't so screwed up and internet undeveloped in certain countries, I think I'd just drive to Thailand. But maybe in five years. These poorer countries don't seem so anal about the regulations, although I guess there is still a risk, and I'll be asking around. But I see a lot of cars spewing out the grossest black stench, so I imagine I should be okay. It's almost as cheap on the north, Turkish side of the island as Czech, so if you manage the air fare, your accommodation will be zero and maybe you'll be up for it. Round up some others if you like and we can do the tent spill over thing. I think Lanarca airport might be the best bet, but I have no clue about prices. My Bro said he plans to fly out here soon. How's the plant? Say hi to the folks. Your buddy, C


Please discontinue any search for me for an accommodation during our stay. Martina has come through and we will be staying at her bro's place on Krakovska and be feeding his pet. We will be arriving on May 10th at 10pm, if you are not at the airport to meet us then you can at least show up at MIKEFEST at midnight, right? See you all soon. Am so excited, if you have a wish list of things you can only get here please email me. Ann

Hey gal, looks like I wont be able to make it out to party with ya, as I've finally realised my big dream and am on the road, now here in Cyprus, where I think I'll stay a longer term, because the winters are fine here, I can cross over to the Greek/EU part any time I want to buy something fancy or get a stamp on my passport to extend my stay here, people are here are relaxed, I park right on the beach, found free internet, so my costs are pretty low and will use the opportunity to pay back all my debts. Not to mention that it would cost me about 50k to get to Czech and back, considering the ferry, expensive gas, and because my back tires are getting thin and I'd need to replace all four of them for such a long treck. But if you're up for a bit of beach action, it's a great island with rich history, lots of ruins, nice nature, and the north is cheap like Czech. Have a good on in cz and say hi to all the folks!


That would be cool doin some euro gig is always a good idea I think. Who knows maybe one day I'll do that myself.. well really I plan to get something eventually in Prague. I still think thats the best city there is.

Yah, I think so too, although it seems to have lost a lot of its charm for me. When I first came it was like Paris after WW2, where a lot of people were enthusiastic about the future, and you could find a lot of interesting expats trying entrepreneurial ventures or just there for the adventure, but it has settled down into suburbia a lot and a lot of those who have remained seem to readily resort to gossip, badmouthing others, or just endless political rhetoric in the cafes to make themselves look good. I just got tired of endless chatter over nothing, even if still over a delicious beer. I think I'm done with cities altogether. People a bit too cosmopolitan and sophisticated for my liking, and don't need to inhale the car exhaust either. Think I'd like to spend the latter part of my life in nature and focusing on more productive things than endless parties. But I'd like to pass through Prague every summer and say hi to the ol' folks, and I invite all my friends to hook up with me on a beach if they ever wanna travel. Otherwise I enjoy running into fresh faces and new experiences, or just being productive and doing something useful. Good to hear from ya and take care.


Where are you at these days? I'm back in Prague and I ran into that friend of yours that works at Red Hot and Blues. I forgot her name, anyway, she says that you may be in Greece?

I guess you mean Lili. Right now I'm in Cyrpus and think I'll stay here until I pay off all my debts. Evenings I'm parked on a sandy beach just outa town and during the day I'm parked at the university campus sucking off their free internet. So my costs are pretty low at the moment, and I dig this island, although I hope I'll be able to endure the hot summers. Although I'm told it is still cool at night, which is more important. I figure I can bag the vehicle registration/smog test. Been asking around and doesn't seem such a big deal as I thought. Would be cool if you can come for a visit. There are squash and tennis courts on campus, and today I distributed fliers of free English lessons, so in time I might know a bunch of students and play some games with them or something, or learn where I can sneak for a free shower. Always testing the angles, as you once said. later dude

I'm trying to get a few squash games together but everybody is afraid to play me. Any tennis courts down there? When you planning to register that vehicle of yours?



No comments: